Careers Support and Guidance
Careers support and guidance is an integral part of our Sixth Form. Whether you intend to apply for university or not, our goal is to ensure that you have access to wide ranging, impartial advice regarding careers options for your future. Our Careers Education and Guidance programme aims to enhance the employability of students and raise their awareness of all the possible opportunities that they can embrace, in order for them to realise their personal talent and aspirations.
Teaching Arrangements: Set timetabled curriculum lessons per week – 2 periods for each group, plus additional time for presentations from external parties and for set organised workshops, i.e. Introduction to Law Day.
- Employability skills
- Post-18 options, including information on technical education qualifications and apprenticeships
- CV and job application preparation
- Interviewing skills and techniques, plus mock interview scenarios and practice
- Alternatives to university including Higher and Degree Apprenticeships, including information on technical education
- Preparation for Year 12 work experience
- Preparation for UCAS – presentations on the application process, student finance, specific courses, application for Oxbridge, how to successfully conduct university research and personal statement preparation
In addition to the set programme, students have access to Higher Education (HE) Open Days, visits to a National Skills Fayre, business and industry-linked events, plus the School’s own Careers and HE Fayre.
Teaching Arrangements: Timetabled sessions delivered throughout the year.
- Continued support for UCAS application of all students
- Oxbridge mock interview preparation
- Early entry support for students interested in Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Sciences
- University talks and presentations, plus faculty and subject specific talks
- Continued specific individual CEG support for students
- Provision and guidance for all non-university/HE students. i.e. access to Higher/Degree Apprenticeships
- CV writing and interview workshops
- Gap year planning sessions
- In addition to the set programme, the students have access to HE Open Days, visits to a National Apprentice Fayre, business and industry-linked events, plus the School’s own Careers and HE Fayre
All students in Year 12 will have a scheduled one-to-one careers interview. Before attending, students will be asked to complete an interview proforma, which allows students to focus their thoughts prior to the interview.
Any student in Year 12 and 13 can also request an additional meeting with Mrs Manning at any point during their time in the Sixth Form.
Gap Year Planning
If students are thinking of taking a Gap Year, we aim to ensure that they appropriately supported in planning for it. There is an endless list of options to choose from and Mrs Manning is available to discuss the possibilities one-to-one.
As part of Year 13 enrichment programme we offer further sessions on Gap Year planning for those who have made the decision to take one.